1. Understanding Islamic formulations of “the Indian Ocean Muslims” the way they understood through contestations and conciliations.
2. Designing a theoretical framework to study their Islamic praxis with proper due for the matriarchal Muslims.
3. Creating a database of source materials pertaining the matriarchal Islam.
4. Publishing research results addressing both specialists and the public through books, documentaries, articles/chapters, and commentaries.
5. Convening international conferences and workshops on the themes such as premodern female voices for matriarchal Sharia, matriarchal Sharia vs. patriarchal fiqh in the realm of maqāṣid al-Sharia.
1. Cultural expressions of matriarchal Islam
2. Maritime connections of the matriarchal communities
3. Sharia: customs and theories
4. Inheritance laws and property regimes